Parish History

Our Catholic parish of St. Joseph's began in 1938 when people gathered for the celebration of mass on Christmas eve in a converted stable.  There have been three churches on this site.  The temporary second church was built in the 1950's with the intention of its becoming a parish hall when the third and present church was built in 1968.  There are around 700 homes in the parish which is served by two churches - St Joseph's and Our Lady of the Rosary . . . .

People have kindly given their archive photographs over the past few years - and too many to put onto these pages.  However we will be putting them onto a linked history page later in the year - so do keep them coming in (by email attachment would be easier).

If you would like to share any photographic memories with the parish consider joining our Parish Facebook Group and uploading them there - group members would love to see them and we then add them easily to this page.



 

  It was the 64th Scouts (Sacred Heart Group) who helped clear out the cowshed and stables in the Summer of 1938. The stable was to become our first church with the first mass celebrated on Christmas Eve of that same year. The men pictured clearing the stable were (left to right) William Sawbridge, Jack Walker, Noel Bowne, George Smith, Charlie Bishop, John Coulfield and Reg Day.

Pictured building an altar from the pig troughs for the stable church are Mr Pinchbeck and Mr Eato. Over the years the parish can be grateful to many such people who have helped with the growth of St Joseph's community.


Memories of the people and those early years were written down by the late Jack Eaton and it is hoped to add them to these pages in the coming months.  But for now enjoy the pictures below and the memories they may bring about.

 
First Communion June 1954
 


As reported in the Leicester Mercury

 
Altar Boys from 1961
 
St Joseph's School 1961

 

 
Wedding in the second church on the site (now our parish hall)








Community Web Kit provided free by BT